Tom Van Dyck
De Francqueslei 139
Experience as a player:
- In 1993 he worked for three months Indonesia with a Dutch soul and funk band under leadership of David Rockefeller.
- During the season '93-'94 he lead a hardbopquintet with Jan Muës, Ernst Vranckx, Eric Thielemans and Bas Kooimans in jazz club "The Sounds" in Brussels.
- In 1994 he goes on tour with the Rotterdam Conservatory big band conducted by Bob Brookmeyer en Ab Schaap. The play concerts at the I.A.J.E. conference in Boston and in "The Village Vanguard", New York. In 1995 he plays with the same big band at the international "Jakfest" in Jakarta.
- In 1996 he wins the second prize in the finale for the "Erasmus Jazz Prize" in Rotterdam. Since then he leads his on group "Pentachrome" (at the moment with Eric Thielemans, Laurent Blondiau, Guus Bakker en Andreas Suntrop) for which he composes all their music.
- In July '97 he wins with the band "Geel!" (For which he composed half of their repertoire) the second prize at the GETXO-festival (Bilbao) and in March '98 he wins with the same band the first prize at the "Dutch Jazz Contest". In July '98 this band plays at the "NorthSea Jazz festival".
- In '99 he wins the first prize with the 'Tim Vets quartet' (conducted by Tim Vets, with Kurt Van Herck & Oene van Geel) at the Jazz contest of Helmond (Holland).
- Tom Played the baritone saxophone in Michel Bisceglia's "Animo & cinema", with amongst others Ben Sluys (as), Frank De Ruyter (ts), Laurent Blondiau (tpt), Jan Nihoul (vibes), Kurt Budé (bscl).
- He was the saxophone player in Augustin Foly's "Da Funkamental Bass Project" with Patrick D'orcean (dms), Manu Codjia (git), Viveka Turrentine (voc).
- He was the instigator of the quartet 'Odds On' with Kris Duerinckx (ds), Mark Haanstra (bs) an Andreas Suntrop (git). They released their first album 'About Time' (DiffRec 001) in 2002.
- He's the instigator, arranger/composer and baritone saxophone player of ‘Saxkartel’, a saxophone quartet with Robin Verheyen (sopsx), Sara Meyer (asx) and Kurt Van Herck (tsx). In 2004 their first album 'Airdance' (Igloo IGL175) is released.
- In 2005 he arranges the music for Saxkartel based on a collection of medieval songs called 'Llibre Vermell'. This music is used to support a sing and dance spectacle under guidance of Liesbet Vereertbrugghen and the 'Musica'. This show was brought on the stages of the 'Dag van de oude muziek' in Alden-Biezen, in the theater 't Eilandje in Antwerp and in 'de Bijloke' in Gent.
- Since May 2005 he plays first alto sax and writes for 'Village Big Band', the house band of the well-known Brussels jazzclub 'The Music Village'. Most of the music is written by him.
- Since january 2006 he plays the baritone and writes for the big band 'Tuesdaynight Orchestra' with shows every month at 'The Sounds' in Brussels. They record a cd in February 2008. Three compositions of Tom Van Dyck are featured on this album, of which one was chosen as the title track: Band of Birds.
- In 2006, Saxkartel wins the contest of Tremplin Jazz d'Avignon. They received the 'Grand Prix du Jury', awarded by a jury that consisted of amongst others master-musicians Eric Legnini, Flavio Boltro and Pierrick Pedron, of Jazzman-editor Franck Bergerot and of Willy Schuiten of De Werf.
- In 2007, as a consequence they played the opening concert of the 2007 edition of the festival at the Palais des Papes, and recorded their new cd with Frank Vaganée on soprano saxophone and singer Tutu Puoane as a guest in Studio La Buissonne in Pernes-les-Fontaines, near Avignon.
- In November 2007 De Werf released this album entitled 'Yellow Sounds & Other Colours'.
- In June 2006 he instigates 't-unit7', a jazz septet with Michel Paré (tpt), Peter Delannoye (tmb), Fred Delplanq (tsax), Ewout Pierreux (pno), Mark Haanstra (bs) and Herman Pardon (dms). This band played every month in the Brussels jazzclub 'The Music Village', starting in September 2006.
- In May 2007, they recorded their first album 'the wind's caress' wich was released in February 2008 during a tour for JazzlabSeries in Flanders.
- Since 2009 he is a member of Scoreman Orchestra, led by Thomas De Prins.
- In September 2010 he records a cd 'little man/BIG WORLD with t-unit4: Ewout Pierreux on piano, Mark Haanstra on accoustic bass guitar and Herman Pardon on drums. Released March 2011.
- In 2011 he starts playing duo concerts with piano player Pierre Anckaert. In 2012 they turn their duo into a quartet adding Hendrik Vanattenhoven on double bass and Mimi Verdererame on drums. In February 2013 they record the CD "Union Match" that is released by September in October 2013.
- Since 2015 playing saxophones & EWI with Koen Lieckens' 'Hit Machine', with Herwig Sheck (electric bass) and Ewout Pierreux (Fender Rhodes)
- In 2016 writing music for a duo saxophone/cello (Romek Maniewski), originally accompanying a theatrical monologue by Yella Arnouts.
- Since 2016 playing EWI & saxophones with bass player Chris Mentens 4-tet, together with Bram Wijeters (pno) and Herman Pardon (dms)
- In summer 2016 starting up Saxkartel again with Andy Declerck, Rob Banken and Matthias Vandenbrande
- In summer 2016 starting up t-unit5 performing repertoire from the 'Tristano school' on baritone saxophone & EWI with Matthias Vandenbrande on tenor saxophone, Ewout Pierreux on piano, Werner Lauscher on double bass and Mimi Verderame on drums.
- In summer 2017 starting up together with Mimi Verderame(dms, git) the 'Duo Verderame/Van Dyck'. In May 2019 they release their first album "Nowbop"
- In 2018 Tom restarts Saxkartel a second time with Thomas Jillings on alto, Matthias Vandenbrande on soprano & Bart Borremans on tenor saxophone
- On 28 & 29 December 2019, they record their new album "The Chromatic Gardener" in JetStudio in BXL, with sound engineer Rudy Coclet taking care of recording, mixing & mastering. Covid 19 scrambles the planned release by Soulfactory in May 2020. It is postponed until September 2020.
- August 2020: Tom is asked by Oene van Geel to check if something musically meaningful can be done during the pandemic. They start playing an online musical frisbee game and after 2 weeks a complete album had emerged. Released by ZenneZ Records on June 25th 2021.
- September 2022: Tom joined the mjo as their baritone saxophone player. He also joins Piet Verbist's (bs) Quartet with Milan Verbist (pno) and Wim Eggermont (dms). They focus on crosscontaminations between Flamenco & jazz and on Joe Henderson's music.
- May 2023: Saxkartel releases it's second album "[Reference [Points] of View]" in the new configuration featuring Oene van Geel on viola & cajon.
as a leader/composer
|Saxkartel featuring Oene van Geel||Reference Points - Points of View||ZR2023010||mai 2023|
|Oene van Geel & Tom Van Dyck||Frisbee||ZR2105014||june 2021|
|Saxkartel||The Chromatic Gardener||SFR-CD015||sept 2020|
|Mimi Verderame/Tom Van Dyck||Nowbop||DiffRec 004||may 2019|
|Pierre Anckaert / Tom Van Dyck 4-tet||Union Match||sept 5170||oct 2013|
|t-unit4||little man big world||DiffRec 003||mar 2011|
|t-unit7||The Wind's Caress||DiffRec 002||feb 2008|
|Saxkartel||Yellow Sounds & Other Colours||werf 066||nov 2007|
|Odds On||About Time||DiffRec 001||apr 2002|
|TuesdayNight Orchestra||Band of Birds||sept 05128||may 2008|
|Scoreman Orchestra||Kings of Kung Fu Jazz Part I||SCMN001||dec 2014|
Experience as a teacher:
- From 1995 till 2000 he thaught saxophone, improvisation, ensemble, music analysis and solfège at the Jazz-studio in Antwerp.·
- Since 1999 saxophone teacher (classical & jazz & pop) at the music academy of Deurne, Antwerp.
- Since 2001 saxophone teacher at the jazz & pop departement of the academy of Borgerhout, Antwerp.
- Since 2012 saxophone teacher at the jazz & pop departement of de kunsthumaniora, Antwerp
- Since 2016 teaching didactics of jazz saxophone at the teacher training at the Conservatory of Antwerp.
- 1989: A summer workshop in Dworp (Belgium) with John Ruocco
- 1990: Takes lessons at the Jazz-studio of Kurt Van Herck, Ben Sluys en Jeroen Van Herzeele.
- 1991: Admitted at the Rotterdam Conservatory. Saxophone lessons of Dick de Graaf and Jasper Blom. Masterclasses with Lee Konitz, Kenny Weehler and Joe Lovano. Counterpoint with Volkert Grondsma.
- In 1997 he finished his training with a DM/UM diploma at the Rotterdam Conservatory.